Healthy Gums With Periodontal Dentistry in Moberly, MO
Three Stages of Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease progresses subtly, and many of its symptoms go unnoticed during the early stages. We recommend regular exams to keep your gums free from disease. Here’s how periodontal disease evolves if untreated:
- Gingivitis: Your gums inflame, making them puffy and redder. Bleeding or when brushing or flossing may also occur.
- Periodontitis: This stage is characterized by your gums pulling away from your teeth, giving your teeth an elongated appearance.
- Advanced Periodontitis: During the third and final phase, your teeth loosen, shift or fall out of your mouth completely.
How to Prevent Periodontal Disease
Periodontal disease will worsen if untreated. Follow these steps to reduce and eliminate periodontal issues from your life:
- Regular Cleaning: Make sure to brush your teeth with toothpaste and floss every day. Cleaning your teeth at home regularly will reduce risks of getting periodontal disease. Schedule cleanings with a hygienist twice annually or more for spotless, bacteria-free gums.
- Routine Exams: Tartar, bacteria and plaque cause periodontal disease. Plaque and bacteria fester in areas that the average brushing and flossing have difficulty reaching. Schedule an exam every six months so dentists can look for signs of impending periodontal issues.
- Customized Treatment: Dentists treat early periodontal disease through many methods and procedures. Dental cleanings reduce early periodontal issues, while medications and surgeries remedy advanced disease. Our dentists provide dentures, bridges and implants if you lose teeth because of periodontal disease.